Saturday, May 30, 2009

One Week and Counting

It has been a little over a week and things are getting better and better every day!

My bruise is getting smaller and smaller. Instead of beinga deep dark purple my side is now turning a weird yellow color. My incision is looking good as well. I don't notice any infection or redness. It also looks gross but I think it is healing nicely.

There is still swelling in my left leg. I still keep ice on it all day and it is helping. The pain from the swelling is not as bad as it was. I still have numbness in my upper thigh and I am sure that is due to the swelling. I am hoping that goes away soon as it is a bit irritating.

Overall, the pain is getting better. I am still taking all my pain meds per the doctors instructions but during the day I am taking my long acting pain meds. Theresa suggested I try Ibuprofen during the day to control the break through pain. Since I am working I think that is good idea. It is a bit difficult and honestly, I am still taking one fast acting pain pill every 4 hours. My goal is to only take the fast acting pills (Narco) at night. Long term I think it will make getting totally off these easier if I start now.

By 5pm my leg still really hurts. Night time is the worst but it is not surprising.

I am trying to do as much as I can on my own. However, at night when I am getting up my walker makes a lot of noise. I am bumping it into the wall and the door of the bathroom every time I go into it. I think the walker is a tab bit wider than the doorway so I have angle it to get in. After this is over I think I am going to need to re-paint the door and the door jam. I am scratching it. I also make a lot of noise moving up and down the hallway.

I am having a great time giving myself sponge baths in the kitchen sink. Kind of gross if you think about it but its the only place I can wash my hair. I can not wait until I can take a real shower. I feel disgusting...

Theresa brought home a very cool cold pack that her boss got from PT. It is re-freezable and it is big enough cover my incision and my swollen thigh. It feels better than the ice packs the hospital gave me and does not leak. I would suggest getting a couple of these as they are fantastic!

My fever is gone. I am running a very low grade fever "99.6" but as of today my temp has been normal! I am very happy about this. Having a fever this long has been no fun at all.

I have my first follow up appointment Monday at 2:30. I am anxious to see the x-rays of the repair and verify my blood counts have bounced back. Based on how I feel, I am assuming everything is fine.

Not to be accused of passing on too much information but I have been having the worst constipation in the world. I have never in my life had this much trouble. I about passed out last night and I was sweating like a pig. I felt like I was going to die!! I am finally doing what I should have done, take stool softeners!! I am an idiot sometimes.


Anyway, enough of that!!

It has only been a week but I can tell you I am going to go nuts! Living on this couch sucks big time. I also am feeling guilty about needing help. I know it has been going on for a long time, even before the surgery but I just want to be less of burden to everyone.

Having said that, I need to be aware that if I push myself to hard I could end up causing damage and add more re-hab time or worse screw up my hip further.

I just need to keep thinking this is the home stretch!!! IT IS ALMOST OVER FOR EVERYONE!

Now its time for lunch....

No comments: