Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tuesday is Consultation Day

Well I met with Dr. Thomas Deloughery at Oregon Health & Science University today.

He told me has seen 10 HCL patients to date. Nine more than my current Dr. which made me feel good.

He looked at my counts and told me he feels I should be treated right away with Cladribine using the 5 day infusion therapy. That is an IV two hours a day for 5 days. I believe I can do it in the doctors office.

After that, it two weeks at home to recover and provided I don't have any side effects like a high fever, I should be good to go for about 5 to 10 years!! Not bad.

He has a complete opposite view of my current doctor but then again he has more experience. He also told me that after the therapy he sees no reason to do another Bone Marrow Biopsy, which I have read is done after treatment to verify all the Hairy Cells are gone. In his opinion, what provides verification that the treatment worked is the increase in my Blood Count.

By the way, right before he saw me he met with another HCL patient. He said he should have done introductions. He also said HCL was an interesting disease and intrigued him. (I think that was a sales pitch)

He will send his notes to my current doctor and recommend beyond a shadow of doubt that I get Chemo right away. I guess, be careful what you wish for.. But It gives me two months to recover fully so that I can have good time in Florida with Cam, which at this point is the most important thing.

Also, my energy should come right back and I get back to a "Normal Life"..

I see see current doctor this Thursday for a CBC test. It will be interesting to see what where I am. By how I am feeling I should be lower than I was when they did my BMB.

So, that is about it for today. I think its going to be a long April but worth it in the end. Keep your finger and toes crossed!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am keeping everything crossed!!!!
B